Get Involved with West Place
We operate through the participation of volunteers and are always looking for good and dedicated people.
It doesn't take much of your time, and provides so much in return.
Feeding and Cleaning: Those who can commit to a three-hour shift once a week (for a minimum of six-months) can get involved with feeding, cleaning, and hands-on enrichment. Morning and afternoon/evening shifts available (currently, we have openings Monday 3-6 p.m., and Friday 3-6 p.m.). Other openings do become available, so get in touch no matter your availability.
Dog walkers and Kennel helpers: This is a new and exciting role for us! We've become the temporary holding facility for lost dogs picked up by the police departments of Tiverton and Little Compton. Looking for volunteers at 7 a.m. on the weekends to walk dogs, feed dogs and clean the kennel space.
Handyman: There is so much more to do in addition to caring for the animals. If you've got some carpentry skills, and can spend just a few hours each week, we would love to have you join us!
Green Thumb: Help us keep the pond gardens, wildlife berry garden and other areas in top shape. And if you don't have a green thumb, but want one, this is the place to learn.
Grower/Harvester: We actually grow some of the food needed to teach the wildlife what to find when they leave, and we grow greens for happy farm animals. Growing saves us money but we can't do it without you.
Painter: The pasture fences, the barn and all the animal buildings take a beating and we would be grateful to anyone who can wield a paintbrush.
Marketing: We're worth hearing about and we'd love someone who can help us bring attention to our important mission through television, newspaper and innovative advertising. We've got the ideas if you can spare the time!
Brochure filler: Brochures and flyers we have on display in our area and surrounding towns need to be refilled and refreshed and we'd love to have you help keep us out there.
Social Media/IT: We want to share our important cause with every age and touch as many as we can. Your talent can help us spread the word.
Tour Guide: If you've got energy, enthusiasm and love animals and people, we're looking for you! Learn and tell our story to a captive audience.
Appearance Organizer: We get asked to provide our volunteers for events and other fun experiences that can benefit us and we could use your help to organize our attendance at these opportunities.
Fundraiser: Our incredible growth comes from the demand on us and to meet it, we need to raise more funds each year to continue our mission. If you can throw a party, you can help us fund-raise...on your own schedule.
Board Member: If you are organized, determined and committed and want to play a key part in the success of our amazing organization, we want to hear from you. Looking for qualified people to strengthen our board.
Other Volunteering/Internship Programs:
People of any age can get the opportunity to better their lives, including:
- Summer Educational Internships: Students from high schools and colleges can have the benefit of valuable experience in a number of areas. Animal care, of course, but also organic food growing, landscaping, marketing, public relations, media, fundraising, and more.
- School year Internships: Work alongside our adult volunteers to learn all about what it takes to care for our animals on a weekly basis. Earn your HS credits needed for graduation, or earn college course credits.
- Group volunteer day, open to any company or large group
- Yearly Civic group volunteer opportunities
- Opportunities for people with disabilities, senior citizens and veterans
- Merit Badges/Scout Projects: We are a great place to put your Scout Troop's ideas to work
- Community Service Hours: Required traffic court service hours (of 20 or more) can be attained
Contact us and we will be happy to work with you to put together any one of the above programs.